It can be really hard to watch your kid struggle
The reality is not so simple though.
That’s why it’s so important to make sure you have a thorough evaluation to rule out the laundry list of things that may look like ADHD or learning disabilities, so you’re coming up with the right solutions that will actually help them.
Here are a few of the most common concerns that bring people in for assessments.
Attention ANd impulse Control Issues
While attention problems can look different for every kid, recognizing the signs is the first step to getting help. These are a few of the biggest frustrations that parents have.
- Can’t get organized
- Inconsistency - Doing really well in school at some points and struggling at others
- Hard time focusing/easily distracted
- Struggling to get homework done or remember homework
Is your child struggling with reading, writing or math? The following are common symptoms of a learning disability.
Reading Issues (Dyslexia)
- Skipping small words or struggling with sight words
- Poor spelling – spelling phonetically but incorrectly
- Avoiding reading out loud or by themselves
- Slow reading and difficulty with comprehension
Writing Issues (Dysgraphia)
- Messy handwriting
- Struggles when putting thoughts down on paper quickly
- Trouble telling a story – having a hard time structuring or having too much or too little information
- Writing in overly simple sentences
- Avoiding writing altogether
Math Issues (Dyscalculia)
- Trouble remembering basic math facts
- Struggling to use math concepts in daily life – estimating costs, figuring out a tip
- Hard time applying math signs (+, -, x) or concepts (greater than, less than)
Head Injuries or Concussions
Another common concern for parents is children who have been involved in head injuries or concussions. Common signs of a brain/head injury include:
- More irritable than usual or mood swings
- Problems with memory and concentration
- Depression or anxiety
- Sleeping more than usual or changes in their sleep patterns
To schedule an assessment today, call me at (651) 204-4034.